Thursday, December 14, 2006

Why I'm Campaigning

Overwhelmingly, the question I've been most often asked on the campaign trail has been a simple one:

"Arbiter, it doesn't seem like you to campaign for something like this. I mean, isn't this whole contest incredibly lame?"

Well folks, the answer is a simple one: yes, the contest is lame. If it were just for the sake of participating in a popularity contest you wouldn't see me touching this thing with a ten foot pole. Don't get me wrong - I like being popular as much as the next guy. But for me, it matters more the quality of individuals amongst who I am popular, rather than the quantity. After all, even the biggest piece of shit can attract a swarm of flies.

I am running a campaign which stands diametrically opposed to many of the values that put the "whore" in "cor whore." In doing so, I undoubtedly sabotage my chances of winning by conventional means. But personally, I would rather lose representing a set of ideas and attitudes that I can genuinely endorse than to win representing something that, in my opinion, should be regarded more as a problem than as something to be celebrated.

The theme of my campaign is "a change of direction." I would like to see the chill out room become a place where topics can require a few brain cells without being deemed "too serious for the cor," or where you can have a discussion that requires significant explanation without people asking for a "cor version" that they can read within the span of ten seconds. I think there are a lot of other people out there who would also like to see a change of direction. Enough, perhaps, that if they voted for me, I could have success in this "contest." But the obstacle is apathy. Many of the voters who share my ideals are also individuals who, quite sensibly, ask me what the hell I'm doing trying to advance in this thing - and most of them likely don't intend to vote in it for reasons I can understand. Others no longer visit the chill out room at all, and due to my refusal to spam other sections, will probably not be aware of my message.

The reason I'm campagining is this: to provide those who aren't content with the current state of the chill out room with an opportunity to express themselves in a way that will be relatively more meaningful to those who are causing the problems. Honestly, I have no idea whether or not they will be interested in taking advantage of that opportunity. The biggest challenge for me is to try to mobilize the base of individuals who will be favorable to my message but not favorable to the contest in general.

If the message is to be effectively delivered, we need to "get out the vote." Even if you think this whole contest is dumb, voting for me is an opportunity for you to express that. And trust me, if I managed to knock one of the favorites out of the contest, those who do like the contest will hear your message loud and clear. But that's not going to happen if we can't motivate the people who are discontent with the amount of nonsense in the chill out room to take this chance to make their voice heard by voting. If you find my message amicable, I suggest that you vote, even if you aren't a fan of the idea of the contest. And you don't have to stop there. Spread the message to those who don't visit the cor anymore due to the very behaviors I oppose. They too can make their voices heard, and strike back at those who made this place not worth their time. The more votes we can muster, the stronger the message. Even if this contest isn't worthwhile, I think sending that message is.

Thank you, and remember that you can make a difference.

Arbiter's "sound posting" tip of the day: Make sure you read the expiration date on that "funnay." There might be some people who will laugh at your joke no matter how horribly old it is, but they'll laugh more if you know when to quit and then bring it back once it has regained some freshness.

No comments: